General Tattoo Aftercare
These are general aftercare instructions for your tattoo. I will give you specific instructions at our tattoo appointment when I am applying the bandage. If you are ever unsure about your aftercare, contact me to discuss.
Dry Healing Method: Bandage must remain on for at least 1 hour. Do not leave bandage on for more than 3 hours.
Second Skin Method: Keep bandage on for 2-3 days. Remove bandage under warm running water and gently wash off the residue with light soap.
- Wash the tattoo immediately after removing the bandage, DO NOT SCRUB THE TATTOO.
- Use a simple soap without scents or dyes like Dove or Ivory, Soft Soap.
- Make sure hands are clean before touching your tattoo, Lather soap into hands then gently rub soap onto tattoo.
- Rinse your tattoo by either splashing water onto the tattoo or running it above the tattoo and rinsing it gently. Be sure to rinse all soap out of the tattoo but again, do not scrub your tattoo.
- DO NOT SOAK YOUR TATTOO. When taking baths or showers keep tattoo away from direct contact with water, do not scrub the tattoo and always pat it dry.
- Gently pat your tattoo dry.
- After a few days without a bandage, moisturize the tattoo twice daily using either tattoo lotion or a simple moisturizing lotion free of scents, dyes, heavy oils or alcohol. Make sure your hands a clean. Recommended: Glaxal Base Do not use Polysporin or Vaseline.
- Do not smother your tattoo with lotion, apply just enough lotion to keep it moist. If unsure, do not use lotion at all.
- Carefully wipe excess away from tattoo.
- Keep your tattoo Dry and Clean for at least 3 weeks while continuing to moisturize 2 times daily.
- Allow all scabs to remain on the tattoo as long as possible.
- DO NOT SCRATCH YOUR TATTOO. When the tattoo gets itchy you may gently pat it with clean hands.
- Wear loose clothing that will not rub against the tattoo and will allow it to breath.
- Do not drink alcohol for at least 12 hours after getting tattooed.
- Keep tattoo out of the sun and water for at least 3 weeks.
- No hot tubs, Saunas, Tanning or Swimming for at least 3 weeks.